Do you want to keep your carpet looking its best for years? Then all it takes is a little bit of work. Here, we'll show you 11 easy tricks that will help keep your carpet looking great. These tips to add life to your carpet will help keep your home looking its best.
Vacuuming is essential for keeping your rug clean and fresh, so you must vacuum regularly—at least once a week if you have pets or more often if you don't. Vacuuming also helps prevent wear by removing dirt and grit that can cause damage to the fibres in your carpet over time. To make sure that vacuuming has the most effect:
1. Vacuum your carpet or rug at least once a week, and air it in the sun every three months.
2. Always vacuum in the direction of the nap (the "hair-like" structure) of the rug or carpeting.
3. Be sure to vacuum the entire rug and under and around the furniture.
4. Use a soft brush attachment to get into corners and other hard-to-reach areas.
5. If you have pets, use a hair removal brush to remove pet hair from furniture, stairs and other surfaces.
6. If you have a rug with fringe, vacuum the fringes as well. Use an upholstery attachment or brush to remove dirt and grit from the surface of your carpeting.
Remove Stains at Once
It is important to remove stains as soon as possible. Here are a few reasons why:
1. For your rugs to retain their appearance & shape for a long time, please remove dust & stains regularly.
2. Stains left on carpets for too long can become permanently embedded in the fibres and be challenging to remove.
3. They may cause permanent discolouration or changes in the texture of your carpeting.
4. They may cause an unpleasant odour that is hard to eliminate, even with professional cleaning services (or at all).
Brush Dust Out of the Carpet
You can remove dust and dirt from your carpet using a soft brush. Avoid using brooms or stiff brushes because they can damage the fibres in your carpet.
You should never use a rotary brush on your carpets as this will cause them to wear out more quickly.
Use Protective Coverings
When you leave your carpet exposed to sunlight, a protective covering can help protect it from the sun's harmful rays. A protective cover will also protect your carpets from dust and debris.
When choosing a protective covering for your rugs, make sure that it is thick enough to prevent sunlight. Many lower-quality rugs have thin fabric covers, letting light shine and fading the rug's colours.
Avoid Direct Sunlight
1. Avoid direct sunlight. Sunlight can fade the colour of your carpet—keep carpets in an area with good air circulation and out of direct sunlight as much as possible.
2. Keep it cool, dry, and clean! This will help keep the fibres strong and durable over time so they can resist stains better too!
Use the Cleaning Products Recommended by the Manufacturer
When it comes to carpet cleaning, always follow the manufacturer's instructions. Never use products meant for a different type of flooring on your carpet, and do not use any product that the manufacturer does not specifically recommend. For example, if you have shaggy wool carpets, don't just assume that an all-purpose cleaner will work well on them because it may cause damage.
Keep Kids and Pets Away From Stains
It's easy to forget that your carpet is still a work surface, even if you're an adult. But when kids and pets are around, things can get trickier. You might spill a little coffee on it or step in some oil with your shoes, and those are both problems that can be fixed by simple cleaning.
If you have children or pets—or both—you know just how hard it can be to keep them from leaving stains all over your carpeting. Children will spill their juice boxes and draw on the walls with crayons; pets pee everywhere as soon as they get outside for their walk. And if you don't clean up these messes immediately, then chances are good that the stain will set in permanently before long.
Leave Your Shoes Outside the Door Whenever Possible
The best way to keep your carpets looking terrific is by keeping them clean. You want your carpets to stay as clean as possible, so make sure you leave them outside the door whenever possible. If you bring shoes inside every time, dirt in the boots from outside will get tracked on the carpet.
This step is especially important if you have children or pets who are likely to play in and around the house all day long (and let's be honest here: who doesn't?). The last thing parents want is for their kids' toys or pets' fur to get stuck in their carpets over time—so try leaving shoes at the door whenever possible!
Invest in a Good Vacuum Cleaner
Choosing the right vacuum cleaner for your type of carpet is important to avoid damaging it, as each type has its own needs.
1. It may be tempting to save money on a vacuum cleaner by not buying a new one for years, but those old vacuum cleaners are more likely to damage your carpet than clean it effectively. If your vacuum is too heavy to push across the mat, change it for one that works better with your strength and ability level.
2. If you have an older model of vacuum cleaner that doesn't isn't designed well enough for cleaning carpets - like some older upright models don't have enough power behind their suction—then it might be time to upgrade.
3. Use a vacuum cleaner with no rotary (brush/teeth). With vacuums without rotary brushes, you can use the nozzle attachment to clean specific areas of dirt and spills. Vacuum cleaners with rotary brushes can damage the pile in your carpet over time.
4. Be sure to empty your vacuum cleaner after each use and keep the inside of the machine working at peak efficiency so that when you're ready to clean again, it won't take much effort.
Consider Hiring a Pro for Periodic Deep Cleaning
Consider hiring a pro for periodic deep cleaning of your carpet at least every two years to keep your carpets looking fresh, healthy and vibrant for decades.
Professional carpet cleaners use hot water extraction and truck-mounted vacuum systems that safely extract dirt from the deepest depths of your carpet fibres. Your carpets will be noticeably cleaner and brighter and last longer when professionally cleaned by trained professionals.
Turn It Upside Down
Another way to clean a rug is by gently turning it upside down and beating it to remove all the loose yarn & dirt drops out, but you should do this outdoors because of the dust that might fly around during the process.
Carpet Couture Hacks to Get Rid of Carpet Stains
The best way to get rid of stains is prevention. Vacuum your carpets regularly and use a good quality, non-toxic carpet cleaner. If you have a stain, try these tips:
1. Blot up as much of the stain as possible with a clean towel or cloth.
2. Use a mild detergent solution to soak the stains for 15-20 minutes. The detergent will help break down the stain and release it from the fibres of your carpet.
3. Rinse thoroughly with water, then let dry completely before putting it back on the carpet to avoid leaving residual soap on the fibres.
Carpet couture recommends using Vetro Power Carpet & Rug Protector—a powerful nanotechnology-based liquid that repels stains and protects home carpets. It forms an ultra-thin, invisible coating that protects against water, liquids and stains (coffee, tea, wine—you name it).
Following These Tips Can Make Your Carpet Last for many Years
If you want to add life to your carpet, follow these tips.
1. Carpets have a lifespan of between 15 and 20 years, depending on how well you care for them.
2. You should vacuum your carpet at least once a week. Use an upright vacuum cleaner for the best results, but if you don't have one, use a handheld one instead. The uprights do an excellent job at removing ground-in dirt from deep within the fibres of your carpet, whereas handheld ones tend only to remove surface soil and debris.
3. Always use high-quality detergents when washing carpets because cheap detergents can damage them over time by stripping away important oils that protect them from wear and tear caused by foot traffic.
About Carpet Couture
Carpet Couture is an award-winning carpet manufacturer that fuses the tradition of handcrafted carpets with modern designs. Visit the website to learn more about the company and its line of rugs.
With just a little effort, your carpet can last for years without looking worn out. Follow along for tips on how to make your carpet look great—for years.
What is the typical lifespan of a carpet?
The carpet's lifespan depends on many factors, including the quality of the rug and how well it is maintained. The best carpets can last up to 20 years, while you may need to replace low-quality carpeting as soon as five years.
How do I know when my carpet needs replacing?
If your carpet is stained, damaged or worn out, it's time to replace it. If you have kids or pets, the best way to know if your carpet needs replacing is by looking at its wear and tear. If the nap of your carpeting has flattened out or if you can see footprints in it, then chances are that it's time for a change.
Does vacuuming help the carpet last longer?
Yes, vacuuming can help your carpet last longer. It removes dirt and debris that might otherwise stain or damage the fibres in your carpet.
How to make a carpet look new?
Regular vacuuming will extend the life of your carpet by removing dirt and debris that might otherwise stain or damage its fibres. Clean the spills immediately to prevent them from setting into the surface of your carpet.
How to keep high-traffic carpet areas clean?
If you have high-traffic carpet areas, such as entrances and hallways, you should sweep or vacuum them regularly to prevent dirt from building up to help keep the carpet looking fresh and new.